Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Keep it Classic People!

Tonight I tried Essie nail polish called Fifth Avenue. Their website describes it as a "creamy red-orange blend" but I do not see any orange in it. However, it is a nice red. I am personally not a fan of wearing reds, but I thought I'd try this one on for size. I do think it would look good on other people who are more into rocking the brights. It's very traditional in that it would go well with any skin tone, and I can picture it worn with a black and white outfit with a nude lip and super smokey eye. If there were still ads like the vintage Revlon or L'Oreal advertisements I've seen from back in the day when they only had two or three nail polishes in their line, this would be the red. Not too cool, or too warm, just basic, pretty, and classic.


I plan to wear it until it chips, but I don't know if I'll use it alone again. I may use it as an accent color if I do silver or navy nails for the winter months... And it just hit me, this color would be a GREAT holiday party color if you're not into the ultra dark shades for the colder seasons. Or! Add some glitter over the top and take it all the way to your New Year's Eve celebration.

So, I must confess. I am a recovered nail polish addict. I used to keep a ridiculous amount of nail polishes. When I was younger, I was allowed to polish my nails before I was allowed to wear makeup, so I think I came home from Wal-Mart with a new $1 color of polish that I talked my mom into getting for me at least every couple of weeks. While some girls wanted Caboodles for their hair bows and accessories, I envied them for their polish storage capabilities. I slightly outgrew my childish interest in polish, and then (dun dun dunnn), I went to nail tech school. Which wouldn't have been so bad, but I worked for Sally Beauty Supply at the same time I was in school, and managed to convince myself that my kit was not perfect without EVERY shade I could get my hands on. It was frustrating in the last couple of years when I realized that many of those polishes had never been used or had gone bad and were tossed out. So now, I have a small Rubbermaid container that I use to hold select polishes that I know I will use. Even when I am dying to try a new color, I usually hold out and see if I think about it again once I am not in the store/salon, and if I do, and I think it will never be wasted, I then go back and buy it.



I've also always been an OPI fan because I feel that OPI polishes in combination with their top and base coat stay on my nails longer than any other polishes I've tried. However, I am venturing into Essie and love many of their shades. I didn't have luck with the first Essie polish I purchased (Mint Candy Apple) staying on my nails for more than 24 hours, so I bought the Essie base and top coat to go with it... Still no luck but I'm not giving up! I'll give a few more colors a try before I call it a lost cause.

The main reason why I am reviewing this is because Essie is teaming up with Redken right now and giving away a free bottle of this polish to clients who visit their Redken Salon (Like Regency Salon if you live in my area), and then go to their salon's facebook page, click the "salon" link under the picture on the left, and write a review of their experience. You will have to enter your address and information when the Redken link prompts you, but once you have reviewed your salon you will receive this polish in the mail from Redken! I'm all about a great deal so definitely check it out, and give your stylist a shout out while you're on there!


No comments:

Post a Comment